Minibus Insurance FAQs

Do you need more information on minibus insurance? Here is a list of frequently asked questions that we get asked about minibus insurance. If you need further support, our customer service team are always here to help.

What is Minibus Insurance?

Minibus insurance is a type of insurance that drivers need to obtain in order to legally drive minibuses on the UK roads. If you wish to use your minibus to carry passengers for hire and reward, you need to:

  • Be licensed by your local authority or by Vosa.
  • Have purchased private hire insurance or public hire insurance.

In the UK, it is a legal requirement to hold a minimum level of insurance to use your vehicle on a public highway. This type of insurance is commonly referred to as private car insurance. Minibus insurance is different to private car insurance as minibuses have an increased number of seats and also have the van chassis of the vehicle.

What is the difference between public minibus hire and private minibus hire?

Just like for taxi insurance, minibus insurance can be for used for both public and private minibuses. Public hire insurance is for minibuses with immediate pick ups. These vehicles can typically be flagged down on the street and will always display a taxi light on the roof.
Private hire minibus insurance is commonly referred to as minicab insurance. This type of insurance is for minibuses that are pre-booked that are usually taken from a minicab office.

What cover do I have to have?

At XYZ Insurance we will be able to offer you a range of insurance cover to suit you, which includes:

  • Full Comprehensive
  • Third Party Fire and Theft
  • or Third Party Only cover.

Can I get a Minibus Insurance quote online?

Yes, of course you can. Here at XYZ, you can easily get a competitive minibus insurance quote by filling our our online form. All you need to do is provide us with some personal details and vehicle information and we will come back to you with an instant quote.

If you prefer to talk to a member of staff instead, you can easily call us on 01268 916 916.

Can I use my existing minibus as a taxi?

Yes. Depending on the number of passenger seats that your vehicle has, it would be up to your licensing authority or Vosa to make a decision.

What does XYZ offer in terms of Minibus Insurance for organisations?

XYZ Insurance offers a range of specialist minibus insurance schemes that can suit a variety of organisations:

  • Commercial – For individuals/companies who are using a minibus for their business.
  • School – For schools/colleges that use minibuses for educational trips.
  • Residential/Care Home – For transporting residents
  • Charity/Volunteer Groups – For non-profit organisations
  • Scout Group – For Scout/Girl Guide groups that covers day trips and outings.

Can I get Minibus Insurance for personal use?

Yes. We have a range of specialist minibus insurance schemes that can suit you. Our social, domestic and pleasure minibus insurance is ideal for using a minibus as a private car. Large families or disabled people may benefit better from using a minibus.

What types of vehicles can be insured under the Minibus Insurance policy?

Under the minibus insurance policy, minibuses (9-17 seats) and MPVs (6-8 seats) can be covered.

If I have not had a full UK driving license for long/do not have any minibus no claim bonus, will my Minibus Insurance be expensive?

Because minibuses are large vehicles and carry more passengers, there is a greater risk when they are on the roads. Therefore minibus insurance will usually be more expensive than private car insurance. At XYZ Insurance we have specialist schemes available for minibus drivers with no minibus no claim bonus. If you have no claim bonus on a private care then we will take this into account and apply a discount allowing us to offer you a competitive quotation.

We even have heavily discounted insurance schemes available for minibus drivers who have been driving a rented minibus or been driving on someone else’s policy, if they can obtain proof of this.

Can I have more than one driver to my Minibus Insurance?

Yes. You can have up to four named drivers or we can also offer any driver policies although this may increase the amount you pay for your insurance.

Can I get European cover abroad for my minibus?

Yes. We have minibus insurance policies which allow travel within EU member countries for up to 90 days in any one year.

What if seats have been removed from the minibus?

Minibuses have a minimum of 6 seats including driver. If you amend the number of seats in your vehicle you should always re-register the minibus with DVLA to advise them on the new seating capacity.

Are there any add ons or extras that may be beneficial for my Minibus Insurance?

We fully understand that your minibus is your livelihood and it can be inconvenient for you if you cannot drive it. We will therefore supply you with a courtesy minibus so you can continue working in the event of a non fault claim. We can also supply minibus breakdown and public liability insurance at very competitive premiums. If you need any further information, our advisors are always here to help.

Depending on your vehicle, its intended use and your type of business we also have a wide range of other insurances that could suit you including taxi insurance, chauffeur insurance, courier insurance and much more.