Motor Trade FAQs


What is Motor Trade Insurance?

Motor trade insurance policies are designed to cover individuals or companies who earn their living working in the motor Trade. This can cover various occupations including buying or selling of motor vehicles, mechanical repairs, valeting and crash and body repairs to name a few. Motor trade insurance is typically categorized by 3 different types of insurance;

1. Road risk only Motor Trade Insurance – Allows you to drive or ride your own or customer’s vehicles legally on the public highway.

2. Combined Motor Trade Insurance – Covers, tools, money, vehicles, contents and premises.

3. Liability Motor Trade Insurance – Covers the general public by any negligence caused by the trader.

Will my motor trade insurance be expensive if I have not had been a motor trader for long or if I do not have any motor trade no claim bonus?

Here at XYZ Insurance we have specialist schemes available for motor traders with no motor trade no claim bonus or if you are new to the industry. If you have no claim bonus on a private car we will take this into account and apply a discount allowing us to offer you a competitive motor trade insuranc quotation.

We also have heavily discounted schemes available for motor traders who have been driving a rental vehicle or on somebody else’s policy and can obtain proof of this.

As a young company ourselves we are aware that everybody has to start somewhere and have very competitive schemes for new motor traders.

What cover do I have to have?

The choice of cover is yours; we will be able to offer you:

• Full Comprehensive, Third Party Fire and Theft or Third Party Only.

Can you also cover me to drive in connection with another business that is not related to the motor trade?

Yes – We can extend your motor trade insurance policy to cover business use but ask our advisor at quote stage as it is absolutely no problem for us.

What is demonstration cover?

Demonstration cover is an endorsement that allows someone you may wish to test drive your vehicle. You will have to accompany the purchaser on the test drive by sitting next to them.

Do you only cover full time motor traders?

No – XYZ Insurance can offer motor trade insurance for both full and part time motor traders.

Can I add my partner wife/husband to the policy for social use?

Yes – It is absolutely no problem for us.

Can I have more than one driver on my motor trade policy?

Yes. Although this may increase the amount that you pay for motor trade insurance.

Get an online motor trade insurance quote by clicking here.

If you require any further information regarding motor trade insurance then please do not hesitate to pick up the telephone and speak to one our Motor Trade Insurance Account Handlers who will be only too happy to help with your enquiry.